There are two ways to run Ruby on Windows. The more straightforward method is to use the Ruby installer to install all the software packages required. The more robust method is to install the Linux subsystem on Windows 10, then use Linux commands to install Ruby.
How do I know if Ruby is installed on Windows?
To check if Ruby installed correctly, open the Run dialog box ( Windows Key + R ) and type powershell . In the PowerShell window type in the command ruby -v . If everything went well you should see a message like ruby 1.9.
How do I run a Ruby project on Windows?
Ruby on Windows
You can get Ruby from the following: http://rubyinstaller.org/. Simply click the link for the one-click windows installer and select the latest stable release. Download the file and launch the installer. When asked, go ahead and put check marks next to all of the components to install.
How do I run Ruby on Rails on Windows?
Rails Installation on Windows
- Step 1: Check Ruby Version. First, check if you already have Ruby installed. …
- Step 2: Install Ruby. …
- Step 3: Install Rails. …
- Step 4: Check Rails Version. …
- Step 1: Install Prerequisite Dependencies. …
- Step 2: Install rbenv. …
- Step 3: Install Ruby. …
- Step 4: Install Rails.
How do I download and install Ruby on Windows?
- Download Ruby Installer. If your machine does not have Ruby, install it. …
- Install Ruby. Once the installer is downloaded: …
- Download Ruby DevKit. Download DevKit from the RubyInstaller page.
- Install Ruby DevKit. After the download is finished: …
- Open cmd.exe.
- Initialize Ruby DevKit.
How do I install a gem file on Windows?
Installing RubyGems on Windows:
Step 1: At first search, ruby download in your browser. Step 2: Then Click on the Rubyinstaller for windows. Step 3: Then click on the Download Button. Step 5: Then click on the downloaded file.
How do I install Rbenv on Windows?
To install rbenv in Ubuntu in Windows
- In PowerShell or at the Windows command prompt, run bash to start the Bash shell.
- Run the following housecleaning command: …
- Run the following command to upgrade or install required dependencies to build Ruby from source: …
- Install rbenv: …
- Add rbenv to your system’s $PATH variable:
How do I run a Ruby script from the command line in Windows?
Run a script
- Press Ctrl twice to invoke the Run Anything popup.
- Type the ruby script. rb command and press Enter . …
- (Optional) To run scratch files or scripts outside the project root, hold down the Alt key before running the command (in this case, the dialog title is changed to Run in Context).
How do I open Ruby in CMD?
Opening the Command Prompt
To start a command prompt on Windows, go to Start -> Run. In the dialog that appears, enter cmd into the input box and press OK. To start a command prompt on Ubuntu Linux, go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal.
How do I run Ruby on Rails locally?
Go to your browser and open http://localhost:3000, you will see a basic Rails app running. You can also use the alias “s” to start the server: bin/rails s . The server can be run on a different port using the -p option. The default development environment can be changed using -e .
How do I run an existing Ruby on Rails project?
How to run an existing Ruby-on-Rails project locally after cloning a repository. The first thing to do is to find the Ruby version used in the Rails project. Then, install the ruby version, bundler gem, dependencies (packages). Finally, set up the database and run the Rails project.
How do you install a window bundler?
- Browse to the directory where you downloaded the Documentation theme for Jekyll.
- Delete or rename the existing Gemfile and Gemfile. lock files.
- Install Bundler: gem install bundler.
- Initialize Bundler: bundle init. …
- Open the Gemfile in a text editor. …
- Save and close the file.
- Type bundle install .
How do I run a Ruby file?
Running a Script
It’s easy — just create a file with the extension . rb , navigate to that file’s directory from the command line, and run it using $ ruby filename. rb (the dollar sign is just the command prompt). You’ll be able to gets from and puts to the command line now!
What is Ruby used for?
Ruby is most used for building web applications. However, it is a general-purpose language similar to Python, so it has many other applications like data analysis, prototyping, and proof of concepts. Probably the most obvious implementation of Ruby is Rails web, the development framework built with Ruby.